Research AreasMarket Access
TimelineStart Date: 1 January 2008 | End Date: 30 November 2011
Objectives of this project are as follows:
1) To develop a set of business models that support sustainable smallholder and rural laborer inclusion in high-value, formal export, and domestic markets in four distinct product clusters.
2) To apply these new business models (through value chain analysis and upgrading) in sub-Saharan Africa.
3) To expand these validated business models through existing and new supply chain partnerships that provide direct benefits to 158,000 smallholders and 301,000 laborers while using project results to influence existing standards.
CIAT specifically helped to establish a fine flavor cocoa supply chain in Ghana, which will help to increase income and improve smallholders’ livelihoods.
Donor: Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (through the Rainforest Alliance)
- NARI - National Agricultural Research Institute
- Cocoa Research Institute of Ghana (CRIG), Ghana