Research AreasClimate Change, Crops, Policy & Institutions
CountriesEl Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, Nicaragua
TimelineStart Date: 1 June 2009 | End Date: 31 May 2014
With the overall objective of helping smallholder coffee farmers in Central America and Mexico adapt to the impacts of climate change, the specific activities of this project include:
- Predict the future suitability and distribution of GMCR coffee sourcing areas.
- Evaluate possible impacts of climate change on coffee quality and quantity.
- Identify alternative crops suitable under predicted climate change scenarios for key regions.
- Evaluate the implications of changes in coffee quality and quantity in three case study sites on social parameters (income, poverty, equity etc).
- Accompany farmer organizations and engage with supply chain actors to design adequate adaptation scenarios.
Donor: Green Mountain Coffee Roasters (GMCR)
- NGO - international or developed-country based non-governmental institution
- Catholic Relief Services